[vsnet-alert 833] Markarian 501 visual and CCD observations

Dear VSNET observers,

one of the well known blazars (very violent type of AGN) named
Markarian 501 (R.A. = 16:53:52.2, Decl. = 39:45:36 (J2000), V = 14mag)
is now very active in TeV gamma-ray, and thus is monitored by EGRET
instrument (and presumably COMPTEL and OSSE, too) from April, 9th to
April 15th, 1997, in gamma rays.

Because of unique opportunity to get interesting data, optical monitoring
of Markarian 501 is welcomed. The object is usually of 13.5 mag, but
we assume it may be brighter nowadays. (We don't know the actual state of
Mark 501 in visible light.

If you decide to observe, check our site http://vsnet.sci.muni.cz/~agn/ for
more info, finding chart and photometric date, or mail to
rezek@asu.cas.cz.

Clear skies,
Tomas

|                   T  o  m  a  s     R  e  z  e  k                    |
|     Astronomical Institute of Czech Academy of Science, Ondrejov     |
|  E-mail: rezek@asu.cas.cz    Web: http://monoceros.muni.cz/~rezek/   |
|  Snail: Tomas Rezek, Astronomicky ustav AV CR, 251 65 Ondrejov, CZ   |