[vsnet-alert 629] AM Her

Dear All,

our 1996 campaign on the polar-prototype AM Her is going towards an
end, with successful ground-based, IUE, ISO, ROSAT & HST observations.
However, the system outfoxed us: we wanted to observe it with HST in a
low state in order to gather information about the accretion-heated
magnetic white dwarf. As you might remember, AM Her HAD a short low
state this summer (down to V~15 for roughly 40 days), but the HST
observations were done two weeks too late: the system was up again.

We have a second set of HST observations scheduled for 1997, Jan.3-6.
From the last VSNET CV Circular (1996.12), I saw that the system seems
to be a bit fainter, however, it is probably too early to hope for a
low state. I encourage anyone interested to keep an eye on AM Her
through the next weeks. We will consider a possible fading of the
system as a great Christmas present...

Best wishes,

 Boris Gaensicke

Boris Gaensicke      |     Universitaetssternwarte Goettingen
---------------------|     Geismarlandstr. 11
boris@uni-sw.gwdg.de |     37083 Goettingen
Tel.: 0551/395327    |     Germany