[vsnet-alert 599] Extremely Rare Outburst of EG Cnc

Visual magnitude estimates by P. Schmeer, Bischmisheim, Germany:

EG CANCRI  (UGSU:)
Nov. 21.23  UT, (13.7 ;
     30.917 UT,  12   ;   (low altitude, clouds, wind)
     30.951 UT,  12.0 ;   (clouds, wind, moon nearby)
     30.989 UT,  11.8 ;   (moon nearby)
Sequence:   Hubble GSC
Instrument: 203-mm SCT

Herewith I wish to report my detection of the first visually observed
(confirmed) outburst of EG Cnc, a probable SU UMa-type dwarf with long
outburst intervals. The only previously known outburst (apparently a
supermaximum) was recorded by Dr. Huruhata; EG Cnc reached a maximum
brightness of mpv= 11.9 on 1977 Nov. 12 (IBVS 2401, 2926).
The current maximum has been confirmed by Tonny Vanmunster (Belgium),
who observed EG Cnc at mv= 12.1 (GSC seq.) on Dec. 1.021 UT.
High-speed photometry and spectroscopy are urgently required.

Regards,
Patrick