[vsnet-alert 565] (fwd) possible SN in NGC 5308

From peste@micronet.it Wed Oct 16 01:23:03 1996
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:20:30 +0100
From: peste@micronet.it (Stefano Pesci)
Subject: possible supernova in NGC 5308
To: nova@nova.la.asu.edu
Cc: nova@goodricke.astro.upenn.edu

Dear variable star observers,
Piero Mazza and myself have a spotted a possible
supernova in S0 galaxy NGC 5308. Images "before"
and "after" are available on the ISN pages (http
address is below signature at the end of the message).

We need urgently spectral confirmation. Here are some
details of recent developments.

ON OCTOBER 12.79 UT :

Piero Mazza and myself while hunting visually with a 40cm
telescope, have spotted a suspect star in galaxy NGC 5308
in UMa.

The suspect is located some 20" SW from galaxy nucleus.
It appears at magnitude 14.5-15.0
We have seen it on October 12.79 UT.

We have checked for possible asteroids: negative.
No star or star-like condensation appears in Vickers and
Carnegie Atlas (panel 37). The suspect appears quite separated
from the nucleus and both Vickers and Carnegie image don't look
overexposed.

The galaxy was last observed by myself on August 15 (Piero
is checking his records for a more recent observation); it
is in our regular supernova hunting program.

ON OCTOBER 13.3 UT :

Michael Schwartz, supernova hunter from Cascade Mountains,
Oregon, USA has kindly imaged NGC 5308 a few hours ago,
using his  30cm + ST6 CCD. The image shows clearly a star
in the  position stated earlier. No star is seen in an archive
image from Michael's own database taken on June 5 1996
(the archive image is also taken with the same equipment).

ON OCTOBER 13.79