[vsnet-alert 332] BZ UMa in outburst.

While testing the feasibility of starting a dwarf novae monitoring
program at Southwest Missouri State University, we observed BZ UMa
just a few hours ago (near 9 h UT, Feb. 18) and found it to be approx.
3 magnitudes above the listed minimum of v=17.8 in Downes and Shara
(1993).  This is an estimate based on the comparison stars given in
the latest Februrary PASP article by Misselt.  We have not yet reduced
the data.  We were observing with a good Photometrics CCD on a 16-inch.

Since we are newcomers to the study of dwarf novae, we have no good
idea of how significant this may be.  We only noticed that no period
is listed for this star, so we surmise that its behavior is not well
known.  We hope someone finds this information useful!  We were clouded
out before we could finish observing it (got B and V only), and it looks
like we will be clouded out for the next several days.

                                            Claia Bryja
                                            Jim Caffey