[vsnet-alert 159] on the format in which data are circulated by VSNET

I would like to comment briefly on the way in which amateur estimates are
circulated via E-Mail on VSNET.

As a professional, after a few months I unsubscribed because it was too
much time consuming to go through all the E-Mails looking for the objects
of interest. I received similar comments from several collegues.

The main reason was the extremely varied format in which data are circulated,
which prevent easy "eye-spotting" as well as automatic data selection
by a devoted computer algoritm. Just two examples. Data are equally listed
in order of increasing RA, by constellation, or simply according to
the observing schedule. The same object is identified in many different
ways, i.e.:
	DRAAG, Dra AG, AG Dra, AG Draconis, etc...

I would like to encourage the VSNET managing staff to issue a prescription
on the format on which the data must be submitted to the network. This, I
guess, would increase the interest among professionals for the excellent
work so many amateurs are doing every night around the globe.

	Ulisse Munari
	Padua and Asiago Observatories