[vsnet-alert 129] a good candidate for monitoring

Between Nov 28 and Dec 6, 1994, the ALEXIS satellite observed a transient
system in the 130A band that we named ALEXIS J1114+430. We later found that
there was a variable Einstein slew survey source within the error box,
1ES1113+432, as reported by Remillard, et al, 1994 (ApJ 426, p288). The
optical counter part of the Einstein source was identified as AR UMa.

AR UMa was identified in a a paper "Oxygen Rich Semiregular and Irregular
Variables" by Jura and Kleinman in AP JSupp, 1992, 83,329 as an semiregular
variable with a 69 day period. The nominal brightness was listed as 12.7
mag and delta mag=1.7. However, Remillard et al have later reclassified
this system as an AM Her type with a binary period of 1.932 hr. The
secondary spectral type is M6 and is at a distance of about 88 pc.

We recently found out that the ALEXIS observations were fortuituously
confirmed by Ron Remillard (private communication) who just happened to be
taking spectra of AR UMa on 11 & 13 Dec, 1994 about the time we saw it fade
away. He claims that it looked just like the AM Her type object in that it
had strong HeII lines, etc.

Because of the misclassification, I do not think this system has received
much attention. Therefore, because it is relatively bright and unknown, it
might be an interesting target to add to monitoring target lists.

If anyone has/will observe this source, we would be interesting in the
light curve observations which we will use to compared to the light curve
that is derived from the ALEXIS data.

Diane Roussel-Dupre

Diane Roussel-Dupre, NIS-2
Los Alamos National Laboratory