[vsnet-alert 69] Discovery of a new variable star!?

Dear Colleagus,

   During the course of our systematic survey of dwarf novae at Ouda
Station, Kyoto University, we discovered a "new" bright (V~13.6) object
in the vicinity of the cataloged position of V725 Aql.  At the
corresponding position of the CV chart by Downes & Shara, there seems
to be only a very faint star (V~19?), and is clearly different from
V725 Aql identified in this chart.  We only know old UBV photometry of
V725 Aql, which is claimed to lack ultraviolet excess.  It is likely
we have rediscovered "true" V725 Aql in outburst (if so, the large outburst
amplitude suggests a low outburst frequency -- intensive observations
during the current outburst would be therefore highly recommended).
However, the cataloged range of variability of V725 Aql (13.7-16.2p)
is against this interpretation.  Does anyone have more information
on this star?  Other interpretations are also possible: a nova?
a new large-amplitude variable star? (an LPV interpretaion is less
likely because red-to-infrared sensitive CCD images during "quiescence"
could not show a bright star at this position).  No numbered minor
planet was at this position.  Furthermore, three sequential CCD
exposures could not show any motion.  Spectroscopic and/or multi-color
photometry are most helpful in this stage.

   We here attaches a vsnet-format V-band CCD chart for convenience
of observers.  We would like to hear any positive/negative observations.

Best regards,
Daisaku Nogami

frame DD74494   900 V725 Aql             V
date 95  3  8.82493     (GSC mag.)
 396 1070 1465 0
 398 23399 1534 0
 573 21615 1624 0