[vsnet-outburst 4531] RXJ0558.3+6753 on Sep 15/16 : large amplitude modulations

Dear colleagues,

On Sep 15/16, 2002, I had another CCD photometry session on RXJ0558.3+6753,
at CBA Belgium Observatory. Sky conditions were excellent, and the variable
was observed for over 4.6 hours. Compared to my Sep 13/14 observations (see
vsnet-campaign-dn 2855), the variable had faded by 1.0 mag.

Contrary to the Sep 13/14 observations, the resulting light curve of
RXJ0558.3+6753 this time shows obvious large amplitude modulations, up to
0.4 - 0.5 mag (see my web site for a graph). Although a visual inspection of
the light curve seems to indicate some periodicity in the signal, this is
not directly confirmed by any of the period analysis programmes I'm using.

The variable very likely is on its way back to quiescence, but I would like
to ask all observers to keep a close eye on this object for possible
rebrightenings, and future outbursts. It is clear that the determination of
the true nature of RXJ0558.3+6753 will require intensive follow-up
observations.

Kind regards,
Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory