[vsnet-obs 36027] SN 2001el further brightening

Hi,

I must admit, I am quite proud about the performance of this SN...

It has brighened nearly 2 magnitudes since discovery over a period of just more than a week.

This morning's observations

SN2001el   20010923.945   128   MLF
SN2001el   20010924.121   129   MLF

I would call on Southern observers to follow up on this SN. It might be near maximum now, but I will possibly not be able to do observations for a week, starting on 25/09..

You can use my posted sequence below or the AAVSO published one with chart, which is not so bad, except for the 'great' omission of the comparison star close to the galaxy, opposite the nova, which has a calibrated magnitude of 12.75 (0.6). SN 2001el present brightness is about the same as this star's.

The following stars can be used to estimate SNe near NGC 1448.

They are derived fron UCAC1 magnitudes and USNO-A2.0 B and R magnitudes (used mainly for colour indication).

The R magnitudes are preferably used to measure in the R band, which is approximately the case with CCD measures without any optical filter. Since SNe are expected to be blue it means that the SN V-value equals its R-value.

(2000) position RA / DE / Magnitudes

034407.8 -443551 / 13.8V / 13.4R
034413.6 -443909 / 14.5V / 14.4R  a blue star / good reference
034417.3 -443746 / 14.7V / 14.4R
034421.8 -443839 / 15.7V / 15.3R
034429.5 -443728 / 14.8V / 14.4R  close by but reddish
034437.8 -443934 / 12.75V / 12.39R *
* from Loneos data base

All magnitudes are estimated to be accurate to within 0.2 magnitude in both bands. The Loneos data are accurate to much better, approx 0.05 magnitude.

Kind regards,

Berto