[vsnet-obs 26726] SNe observations (Ewalt)

From f.m.ewalt@snet.net Mon Mar  6 09:15 JST 2000
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 19:13:51 -0500
From: "Frederick M. EWALT" <f.m.ewalt@snet.net>
To: Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
CC: Hitoshi YAMAOKA <yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp>, Brian Skiff <bas@lowell.edu>
Subject: Supernova Magnitude Observations

Dear Mr. Taichi Kato:

Here are two my most recent supernova magnitude observations, and a
third, for SN199gi, which went unreported due to a technical oversight.

           YYYYMMDD (UT)    MAG      OBSERVER    COMMENTS:
SN1999gi   20000206.183    145C	  (F.M.Ewalt)
SN2000j    20000301.025    189C	  (F.M.Ewalt)   May be Fading
SN1999em   20000301.159    159C   (F.M.Ewalt)

JPEG "display type" images supporting these observations have been
submitted to, and may be downloaded from the following website:

 "http://vsnet.ggw.org/asras/snimages"

Requests for "FTS" raw images should be submitted to the originator.

For Brian Skiff: VSNET isn_chat message on SN Astrometry

I utilize CCDSoft and the SKY Level IV by Software Bisque, for both
Astrometric SN position verification and Photometric SN magnitude
measurements.  I use at least the three SAO and/or GSC stars nearest in
position proximity, and magnitude to that of the SN. All reference
values are as listed from the Hubble or HIPARCOS databases, and are
according to what is provided by a physical match between the raw image
and the virtual sky, using the CCD image overlay capabilities of CCDSoft
and the SKY Level IV.  I use either of two SBIG CCD Cameras, ST7E or
ST9E, on either of two MEADE LX200 10" scopes, f/10 or f/6.3,
supplemented by either of two focal reducers, f/6.3 or f/4.  From the
standpoint of an Amateur Observer, and considering my military
background in POLARIS/POSIEDON Submarine Navigation, it is my opinion
that these resources and methods, carefully applied, provide both
consistent and accurate results, well within sigma.  Could you please
provide an E-mail address or other method to contact Mr. Dan Green at
the Central Bureau.  It is my opinion that SN2000j may probably be past
maximum and possibly is fading.

Thanks for your personal interest and support the Amateur Astronomers
who make the majority of the VSNET reported measurements.

Fred E.