[vsnet-chat 6989] Re: H band photometry

On 2003.10.24, at 11:53 AM, Arne Henden wrote:
> Single-channel NIR systems are simple and relatively inexpensive.
> When you start talking about a 2-D imager, you have to address each
> pixel somehow, whether direct access or by moving the charge to some
> collection point.  These addressing methods require semiconductor
> logic, only available on silicon.  This then implies a hybrid device,
> usually a sandwich of NIR detecting material mated to something
> resembling a regular CCD.  This sandwich is where the price gets high
> since it is far more complex than just photoetching on silicon.
> There are a few 2-D cameras available commercially, but in the
> several USD$10K range.  I think amateurs will have to be happy with
> single-channel systems for a while, and there is plenty for them
> to do with such systems.

I have no plant to buy or build an 2D IR imager now.
And I have not much money and technical skill to build it.

Recently, some public observatories in Japan (Gunma, Nishiharima etc)
are developing  IR cameras.
These observatories do not only public event but also do joint-research
with amateurs.
If I can use these cameras in public observatories, I can do IR
photometry.

But I have no actual plant now.

                                                            Seiichiro
Kiyota