[vsnet-chat 6981] Re: H band photometry

In a message dated 10/22/2003 9:29:17 PM Central Daylight Time, skiyota@nias.affrc.go.jp writes:

Doug. What is impression of SSP-4?

Seiichiro:
The Optec SSP-4 (http://vsnet.optecinc.com/astronomy/products/ssp-4.html) is very similar to operation to the SSP-3.  It comes with two filters, J and H.  I took the V838 Mon with a clear filter.  The InGaAs detector in the SSP-4 has a spectral characteristic similar to the H band, but you have to color correct. Dirk Terrell has started putting a web page together for the SSP-4 http://binaries.boulder.swri.edu/binaries/ir/. In summary I would say that the SSP-4 is an excellent instrument and you are correct when you said "the infrared era has begun for amateur astronomers."  It is an exciting time.

Regards,
Doug West
http://hometown.aol.com/dwest61506/index.html