[vsnet-chat 6871] V2573 Oph: Vello Tabur's early images

V2573 Oph: Vello Tabur's early images

Dear Colleagues,

   Vello Tabur kindly presented early images of the field V2573 Oph on his
webpage.

   My own examination:

   May 4 image: there looks like to be a postively detected object near
the nova, but the marked pixel seems to be about 1 pixel too east from
the expected position of the nova (could someone confirm?).
This positional drift is apparently the result of random noise on a CCD
image.  I thereby suspect that the nova and the nearby star was not
convincingly resolved.  The reported magnitude (likely a combined
magnitude of the both objects) seems to suggest that the nova had not
appreciably brightened by this time.

   Apr 29 image: the centroid of the mark seems to be slightly different
from the May 4 one.  Several nearby field stars were not sufficiently
resolved.  These finding suggest that the nova was not convincingly
detected.

   Apr 5 image: the low resolution makes the distinction even more
difficult.

   The rather constant reported magnitudes (likely a combined magnitude
of the both objects) on all nights seem to suggest that the nova had not
appreciably brightened by this time.  My present conclusion is there
was not convincing evidence of a long premaximum halt.  I thereby
strongly question the conclusion by Kimeswenger and Lechner
(astro-ph/0309370).  If there was not a long premaximum halt, the
light curve of the nova was nothing unusual, which probably disqualifies
the paper as an A&A letter -- this is no fault of Tabur, but premature
conclusion by the authors on unverified data would rather be argued.

   I will communicate this information to the A&A office for potential
help for their decision.

Return to the Powerful Daisaku