[vsnet-chat 6865] Discovering novae

Hi all,

What is this fuss about discovering novae all about? It seems to me
pretty straightforward. The first one to recognize a new object as a
nova and reporting it as such to the IAU, is the discoverer of the nova.
Someone who only realizes after the discovery that the object on his
prediscovery pictures is a nova, cannot claim to be an independent
discoverer. He can only claim that he has prediscovery pictures. This is
not unique. There are often pre-discovery pictures of novae. But
pre-discovery pictures are relevant, as already indicated by T. Kato. I
hope V. Tabur will make his other pre-discovery photo's available to the
astronomical community.

Yours,

Erwin van Ballegoij

Return to Home Page