[vsnet-chat 6854] Re: re Nova type classification thoughts

Re: [vsnet-chat 6852] re Nova type classification thoughts

> It's nice to know whether a nova was fast or slow.  I think I was even going
> see if small regions preferentially provided one type or another at one point,
> though I never did (some parts of Aquila, for example, have been nova rich).
>
> However, a classification based on _eventual_ lightcurve would be much nicer,
> and more in keeping with other variable classification, and to some extent
> suprenova classification, schemes.

   If type NA and NB comprise a continuum (as already suggested from the
difficulty in numerically resolving them), any trial to distignish them
would be simply superficial.  Yes, the known t2 of novae has a variety
with a dynamic range of an order of 10^2.  This range is perfectly
comparable to that of recurrence time of dwarf novae.  Even though, no
one wish try to distingusih UGSSa (t_rec about 10 d), UGSSb (t_rec about
100 d), UGSSc (t_rec much longer).  This is because everyone knows that
the basic underlying physics is essentially the same (the same is true
for historical RRa and RRb classifications).

> Whether there's a professional around nowadays how
> could get hold of sufficient data to generate lightcurves, I do not know.
> Indeed, use of T2 and/or T3 is probably an attempt to get around the sparsity
> of data for many past novae.

   I don't argue against the usage of T2 or T3 for as a measure of nova
decline rate.  My assertion is that simply correlating T2/T3 with historical
nova classification scheme will not be highly productive.

> PS re GU Mus and V518 Per and historical reasons:  wasn't ROSAT working then?
> Maybe they called for visual confirmations, thinking they'd detected xray
> signatures of novae, whilst in effect these were not quite classical novae, at
> least in optical terms?  There certainly appears to have been a window of xray
> novae discoveries suggesting a connection with a satellite campaign.

   Nothing is essentially different between these two X-ray novae.
GU Mus = GS/GRS 1124-68, V518 Per = GRO J0422+32.  Almost all X-ray novae
have been called for identificaions in visual/infrared light.  Both objects
contain a black hole or a neutron star, which is essentially different
from classical novae.