[vsnet-chat 6720] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-unknown 169] Re: Query object by Cucarella

Subject: Re: [vsnet-unknown 169] Re: [vsnet-chat 6714] Query object by Cucarella
From: Anton_Paschke@swissre.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:56:04 +0200

Dear prof Kato,

>   I would carefully examine the discrepant image and see if the
>unusual object has the same seeing profile as other stars in the
>frame.

On the first glance (just looking on the GIF images) I have the impression,
that the object has
the same shape as stars. Of course, a closer examination should be done.
But basicaly there
are two alternatives: the spot is caused by light, that passed trough the
telescope optics
or it is caused by cosmic ray impact on the chip.

I have observed similar cases too. I believe, that they were abundant in
nights when the weather
changed and stars began to faint behind thin clouds. ( Only my guess, no
statistics, no proof)

It could be an pointlike electric discharge in the atmosphere. Once I
discussed the subject with my
former colegues on the institute of the physics of the atmosphere here on
the Swiss Federal
Technology Institute, but we came  to no firm conclusion. One or two
spoiled ccd images are
not sufficient data for deeper research.

with best regards   Anton Paschke

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) or
company named and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
information. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information
may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this message and notify the sender