[vsnet-chat 6700] Re: photometry software problem

Re: photometry software problem

> It is unfortunate but true in the publishing
> world that publication deadlines do not always permit extensive
> testing.  In reality, after several thousand users try every feature
> in every conceivable way, bugs will be discovered/fixed and new features
> requested/implemented.

   This is not extremely true for high-quality program writers.  With
clear source codes (not comparable to those of DAOPHOT), more than 90%
of problems will be removed when inspecting the source code (even before
it runs!).  This is probably not true for most of commericial software,
as Arne suspected.  In a number of cases, simple mathematics can help
avoiding the problems before they appear.  For example, when a convolution
is necessary, a numerical integration within a pixel is always a better
approximation than a multiplication of scalars (this was probably the
problem what was identified in the past with the comercial astrometry
software).  This kind of mathematical problem will not be correctly fixed
even with testing in the market.  Such problems should be avoided before
the software is released in any form.  The more difficult thing in the
photometry software is that the result is given with a low-dimentional
values (in extreme cases, it may be a scalar for a given object).
From these low-dimentional values, it is almost impossible (probably
proven with some mathematics) to make a reverse analysis of the
high-dimentional compexlity involved in the software.  [This difficulty
is similar to reverse analysis (eclipse mapping) of the eclipse light
curve of a cataclysmic variable -- one can only choose a "most likely"
solution from a huge number of acceptable solutions].  Such "beta-type"
reverse test will be effective for image processing software producing
multi-dimensional results, or software producing star maps [But is
there anyone who has seen entire region of the sky with a given
star-mapping program?  In theory, the same test is required every time
a new version is released.  This would require even more work than to
write down the software, and bug-fixing at the programmer's end is much
more cost-effective.  Arne's paradigm of testing in the market, without
source codes, is no longer very effective in the modern software
engineering].  The high occurrence of errors (from various reasons,
although the software venders often want to ascribe errors to the
catalog incompleteness) in chart-plotting software is sufficient to
indicate that there would be an equivalent number of faults in commercial
photometry software.  This single difference is that the effect in the
latter category of packages is less likely to become obvious.

> You should not "bad-mouth" a product on an open
> maillist; go to the specific maillist for the product in question and
> try to get help, either in understanding how you are misusing
> the product, or in getting the bug fixed.

   So this statement is senseless.  We are in pursuit of "better photometry"
rather than trying to fix problems with a specific software package.

>    You can test much of the quality of photometry algorithms
> yourself by taking several images of differing exposure length
> and seeing how well faint objects on the shorter exposure images
> match up with their longer-exposure measures.

   One of our observers has very recently done this test.  And I can
simply tell that AIP4WIN failed.  I am not aware of the result from
other packages, but I suspect a similar result, as inferred from the
reported similar tendency of the data.