[vsnet-chat 6661] Re: Software problem in time-series photometry

AIP has different routines for different purposes. The CVK
independently method is good for asteroids that travel
through the field or for rotating fields. The C-offset is
great for stars that fade away rapidly in non-rotating
fields.

If your field rotates, C-offset will not work for long. The
C-offset routine does *NOT* centroid the V and K stars
except for the first frame. That is the idea - it follows
the C star and offsets a certain number of pixels in the X
and Y direction for both V and K stars. That way if the V
star goes very faint, you do not have the problem of
failing to centroid the V star. If you get a value that is
just barely measurable, fine. If there are other stars near
the V and K stars, when the V or stars get faint, the
centroid will gravitate to the other nearby stars.

Note the stars can get faint for a number of reason, such
as clouds or obstrutions to the telescope/light path.

If stars are so faint that you can't centroid them, your
statistics are going to  be bad, but why compound the
problem by measuring the star poorly?

Lew

--- Michael Koppelman <lolife@bitstream.net> wrote:
> I don't understand why this would be better. If you are
> doing
> photometry on a star too dim to centroid, you are in big
> trouble. As
> users of daofind know, you can find statistical stars at
> levels that
> are hardly visible by the eye. I can't imagine that
> centroiding is the
> problem here.
>
> The opposite problem seems much more likely to me: if you
> use only the
> C star to find your position, and the frame rotates under
> you due to
> bad polar alignment or alt/az-type issues. I'm not sure
> if AIP
> re-centroids these stars or not, but I assume it must,
> which would make
> this a non-issue as well.
>
> The aperture moving completely off the star, though, is
> certainly
> possible, and has happened to most of us. The crime there
> is not
> noticing. Sometimes you can't trust those programs to
> find the star for
> you, especially if it wiggles around a lot. In this case
> it usually
> does not slowly drift off the star, though, if gets way
> off very fast.
>
>  From what I've heard said so far, I can't imagine that
> AIP is handling
> any of these situations incorrectly.
>
> Michael koppelman
>
> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 05:56 AM, Berto Monard
> wrote:
>
> >> The centering error on faint stars that Taichi-san
> mentions
> >> in AIP4WIN can be avoided altogether by doing
> photometry as
> >> C-Offset where the comparison xtar (presumably bright
> >> enough to be reliably centered on all images and the
> >> variable and check are not centered except on the
> first
> >> image of the set and the apertures are rigidly placed
> in
> >> the same location relative to the comparison star.
> >
> >    Thanks, Lew!  Is everyone using this option?  (In
> precise
> > photometry,
> > I regard this option as a default -- we use multiple
> stars to
> > compensate
> > a small-order deviation from a constant offset.  With
> an Alt-Az mount,
> > one also need to incorporate image rotation).  Use this
> option whenever
> > applicable.  If everyone uses this option and still
> gets unrealistic
> > depressions in the light curve or other unusual
> features, we should
> > search
> > for a different explanation -- in any case, this would
> provide a
> > critical
> > test for the software.

=====
Regards, Lew
CBA Concord  http://vsnet.geocities.com/lcoo/eng29.htm
The CBA Concord telescope is in the debugging process
CBA Pahala     http://vsnet.geocities.com/lcoo/pahala.htm

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami