[vsnet-chat 6655] Re: Software problem in time-series photometry

Re: Software problem in time-series photometry

> The centering error on faint stars that Taichi-san mentions
> in AIP4WIN can be avoided altogether by doing photometry as
> C-Offset where the comparison xtar (presumably bright
> enough to be reliably centered on all images and the
> variable and check are not centered except on the first
> image of the set and the apertures are rigidly placed in
> the same location relative to the comparison star.

   Thanks, Lew!  Is everyone using this option?  (In precise photometry,
I regard this option as a default -- we use multiple stars to compensate
a small-order deviation from a constant offset.  With an Alt-Az mount,
one also need to incorporate image rotation).  Use this option whenever
applicable.  If everyone uses this option and still gets unrealistic
depressions in the light curve or other unusual features, we should search
for a different explanation -- in any case, this would provide a critical
test for the software.