[vsnet-chat 6630] Re: V is V, and filters or not

Re: V is V, and filters or not

>    This is completely correct:  "V" is "V" and doesn't depend on what
> detector you are using.  In defense of the AAVSO, I think the main
> reason for separating CCDV from PEPV is for observer awards and has
> nothing to do with the science.  Perhaps there is a better way to do this.

>    We often do just that in the campaigns that I have been involved with
> (especially GRBs).  If there is standard photometry available that
> covers the same timeframe as an unfiltered amateur observation, that
> unfiltered observation is usually dropped since we do not know how
> the observation was made nor can we transform it without further information,
> usually not worth the trouble.  If we know the amateur in question and
> have confidence in his/her ability, we will sometimes make contact
> and figure it out.  However, we usually (and probably unjustifiable)
> assume someone who is using standard filters knows a bit more about
> photometry and use their data first.

   I almost completely agree with the statements above by Brian Skiff.
Whether unfiltered CCD observations are useful or not strongly depend on
the experience, knowledge, and proper analysis of the observer (or data
analyst), and on the objects and scientific aims.  Random (or sporadic)
unfiltered observations by poorly trained observers are frequently useless,
or can be even misleading.  In practice, unfiltered CCD observations
require more skills (than in standard V-band observations) and more
knowledge at the observer's side.  This needs to be addressed when
encouraging unfiltered CCD observations.  But unfiltered photometry in
certain subjects are not useless as one might think from Arne Henden's
message.  An excellent example how unfiltered photometry would work
can be found in our recent Nature paper on GRB 030329.  With known
ranges of spectral indices, the CCD response, and the lack of strong
spectroscopic lines, one can reasonably use "well-tuned" unfiltered
CCD photometry to deduce other important physical parameters.  This
burst was bright enough to be observed with filters, but the preferred
decision at that time was to avoid loss of time and internal inconsistency
arising from different instrumental setup.  The same (in scientific
return) is usually, but not always, true for observations cataclysmic
variables depending on the science one wishs to follow.

> Here I disagree.  There are uses for unfiltered or even non-standard filtered
> measures, such as time-of-minimum for eclipsing binaries, superhump
> observations of CVs, etc.  What is needed is a clear set of instructions
> as to how to report those observations.

   And how to analyze those observations, and what kinds of objects are
the preferred targets of this method.

> Reporting errors occur for any organization.

   It is inadequate to refer to them as "errors", whatever intention this
sentence would be...

   Speaking of errors,

[from Henden's message]

>      The differences in reporting and vetting of datasets in vsnet and
> AAVSO seem to arise mainly from what you might call cultural differences.
> The problems with amateur observers (notably CCD'ers) having a poor or just
> incorrect understanding of formal photometric systems has its cause not
> in how things are reported by the different groups, ...

   There is no doubt that a system producing less errors is a better
system.  Resorting to tradition is not always a better solution.
This is clearly the direction what the AAVSO charts revisions
are aiming at.  The same initiative can be taken with the reporting
system of photometric systems.  This must be a much less effort than
in revising a huge number of charts.

   My suggestion would be:

   replace

> CCDB  Charge-coupled device (blue filter)
> CCDI  Charge-coupled device (infrared filter)
> CCDO  Charge-coupled device (orange filter)
> CCDR  Charge-coupled device (red filter)
> CCDV  Charge-coupled device (visual filter)

   by

B(CCD)  Charge-coupled device (filtered, B-band)
Ic(CCD)  Charge-coupled device (filtered, Ic-band)
Rc(CCD)  Charge-coupled device (filtered, Rc-band)
V(CCD)  Charge-coupled device (filtered, V-band)

   and omit CCDO.  (CCD) is not logically necessary, but will not be
specially harmful.  Ic instead of I (Rc instead of R) is to avoid
confusion with "Johnson" R and I systems -- unmistakable definition is
a better definition.  Proper instructions such as "what do V-band or B-band
mean?", "is my filter a V-band one?" or "what magnitudes should be used
for comparison stars?" can be summarized as FAQs, and people are requested
to assimilate these matters before actual reporting (ideally before
actual observation).  What a constructive suggestion! :)

Return to the Powerful Daisaku