[vsnet-chat 6565] (fwd) GRB030329 paper

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:06:06 +0900
From: Makoto Uemura <uemura@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Subject: [vsnet-campaign-grb 32] GRB030329 paper

GRB030329 paper

    We are pleased to notify everyone that the following paper has been
published in Nature June 19 issue.

"Structure in the early afterglow lightcurve of the gamma-ray burst of
29 March 2003"
Makoto Uemura, Taichi Kato, Ryoko Ishioka, Hitoshi Yamaoka, Berto Monard,
Daisaku Nogami, Hiroyuki Maehara, Atsushi Sugie, and Susumu Takahashi

    As you know, on 29 March 2003, one of the most closest and brightest
GRB appeared.  We obtained the optical light curve of the early afterglow
of the GRB.  In the above paper, we report on our results.

    Our observation revealed that, even early phase (<1d) of the afterglow,
the light curve shows unexpectedly complicated structures on the fading
trend.  This result showed that continuous observations with a short
exposure-time will be important and useful to study the new feature of
GRB afterglows, rather than a snap-shot observation.  Regarding this,
it should be emphasized that this work was supported by the collaboration
of researchers and amateur astronomers.  We hope this work encourages
observers all over the world.

    Our paper has been published in Nature vol.423, 843.
We put the preprint version of this paper in the astro-ph preprint server,
which will be available in astro-ph/0306396 (maybe tomorrow).
If you want to get our data in the paper, please see the comments of
our preprint article.
For general information on GRB030329, see:
http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/GRB/grb030329.html
The special web page for our paper is now under construction.

Regards,
Makoto Uemura