[vsnet-chat 6533] (fwd) Flaring miras - notes from Smelcer

From: "Ondrej Pejcha" <opejcha@volny.cz>
Subject: Flaring miras - notes from Smelcer
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:15:26 +0200

I received explanation email from Smelcer about flares in
his data. That one in X Dra proved to be measuring error,
while those in T UMi and U UMi were caused by bad weather
("furious" photometry is difficult to be done in central
european conditions:-).

However, the flare in V Cyg is real, as far as I can say. I
have the images at home and have performed various checks.
There is no hot pixel and the profile is Gaussian with the
same FWHM as other stars in the image have. The star is
_significantly_ brighter than on the image taken 4 days
before. I can send the images to interested folks.

The flare in RU Lyr isn't dismissed, too, but I have to
communicate with Smelcer further to get some additional
details.

Best regards,

Ondrej