[vsnet-chat 6511] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: flares in Mira stars

>>  You can observe lots of sky once a night, or you can observe a little of
>>  sky a lot.  Can't do both without a whole lot more money than there
>>  is out there for this type of project.

     Just need a couple or three similar systems in each hemisphere---
not that big of a deal.  I think Pojmanski realizes his current observing
cadence isn't the best, and says as much at his Web site.  A simple fix
would be to do blocks of fields that get two visits say an hour or two
apart.  Another possiblity is to rig the fields with center-to-corner
overlaps so that any spot shows up in multiple frames in the course
of a night.
     In general there's a trade-off between sky-coverage and magnitude
limit.  If you want only mag. 8 or 9, just use a full-frame fisheye lens
for 35mm format with a ~25mm square chip, and you can get most of the
sky in a single shot.  Pojmanski's system covers a 9x9-deg field and gets
the southern hemisphere on the timescale of 3 days or so down to mag. 14.
Scale cadence speed and magnitude limit from there.

\Brian

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku