From: "Martin Mobberley" <MartinMobberley@compuserve.com>
To: "Mike Simonsen" <mikesimonsen@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Roger Pickard" <rdp@star.ukc.ac.uk>; "Nick James"
<ndj@blueyonder.co.uk>; "Karen Holland" <karen.holland@xcam.co.uk>; "Guy
Hurst" <guy@tahq.demon.co.uk>; "Gene Hanson" <GeneHanson@aol.com>; "Maurice
Gavin" <mgavin@ntlworld.com>; "Chris Jones" <cpj@cix.compulink.co.uk>;
"Denis Buczynski" <denis@cb978iau.demon.co.uk>; "Bill Worraker"
<w.worraker@ntlworld.com>; "Mark Armstrong" <fw04@dial.pipex.com>; "Gary
Poyner" <garypoyner@blueyonder.co.uk>; "[unknown]"
<Tonny.Vanmunster@cbabelgium.com>; "David Boyd" <DRSBoyd@compuserve.com>;
"Hazel McGee" <HazelMcGee@compuserve.com>; "[unknown]"
<vsnet-outburst@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>; "aavso discussion"
<aavso-discussion@informer2.cis.McMaster.CA>; "[unknown]"
<vsnet-chat@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: V589 Her not in outburst

Message text written by "Mike Simonsen"
>However, I have also reported observations that seem to be precursors to a
later verified report of an outburst. The last outburst of V402 And was
reported by me some days before Chris Jones/Gary Poyner verified the event,
and most recently I made an observation of TW Vir a couple days before
everyone else agreed it was in outburst.<

Hi All,
Re. the V402 And event of September 2000, I remember it well.
Gary sent the following on Sept 18th 2000:
--------------------------------
>I have received a report for Mike Simonsen in the USA that V402 And
>(Var 62 And) may have been glimpsed at magnitude 15.0 on Sep 18.166UT.

>The position for this Recurrent Object is...

>              00h 11m 07.3  +30,32'36"  (2000.0)

>Mag 15 is on Mike's limit, and he emphasises his uncertainty of the
>observation.  If anyone can secure a CCD image of the field this
>evening, this would be great! If it ever clears here, I'll check
>visually too!

>Thanks,
>Gary
-------------------------------
It was cloudy on Sept 18th & 19th for me, but others with CCDs found it was
not in
outburst. However, on the 20th I imaged the field and there it was, at
about 15.7.
I have always thought that Mike's glimpsing of it on Sept 18.166 and it
then being
in outburst on the 20th (my image was 2000 Sept 20.816) must be more than
just
coincidence...........

Regards,
Martin