[vsnet-chat 6418] Converting Tycho-2 magnitudes to Johnson-Cousins B,V

  Sebastian Otero wrote:

> I am using Hog (2000) tranformations as stated in the catalogue:
>
>  V   = Vt-0.09*(Bt-Vt)
>  B-V = 0.85*(Bt-Vt)

  Some time ago, Arne Henden provided these transformations
to the TASS group.  He has stated recently that they aren't
as good as possible, but they are the best I have at the moment.

   Given color   -0.2 < (Bt - Vt) < 1.8

                 B  = Bt + 0.018  - 0.2580*(Bt - Vt)
                 V  = Vt + 0.008  - 0.0988*(Bt - Vt)

As a bonus, he threw conversions to U, R and I (though of course
these are less accurate than the others, since they extrapolate
quite a distance across the spectrum).

  You can read his message explaining the conversions at

      http://stupendous.rit.edu/tass/mailarchive/2001-02/msg00055.html

                                       Michael Richmond

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku