[vsnet-chat 6353] AAVSO names in SIMBAD

AAVSO names in SIMBAD

   I think it would be adequate to ask Brian Skiff to relay some message
to the SIMBAD people, but, could you (Brian) please ask the SIMBAD people
to avoid in "SIMBAD objects in reference" listing AAVSO names when there
are already GCVS names?  I don't see any advantage to see "AAVSO 2230-17"
instead of seeing the formal name "HM Aqr" (and other well-known catalog
names in some other cases).  This is very confusing (and even nonsense),
and I fear that the usage of such non-standard names and naming conventions
(both in name itself and format) promulgates through such a service.

   It may be that some query algorithm in SIMBAD implements a simple
alphabetical priority function.  If it is the case, this apparently needs
to be improved so that GCVS names are given the highest priority among
"V*"-class objects.