[vsnet-chat 6346] Re: RS Ophiuchi ASAS-3 chart

You make good points. I think this survey may struggle with what
probably all surveys struggle with (as we've discussed on the TASS
list) which is night-to-night variations. From the little poking around
I've done on the star I'm working on, it seems to me the *average*
accuracy might be 0.05 but the scatter around this average may be
pretty high. If you can average a whole bunch of observations of
non-variable stars, I could see how you could get very nice results.

Cheers,
Michael Koppelman
http://vsnet.lolife.com/astronomy/

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 02:55 PM, Sebastian Otero wrote:

> Every source has its problems.
> The key to this is analysing what to use and what to discard. It's not
> as
> easy as one would like it but you can't have it all....
> The accuracy depends on the field and the brigthness. There are fields
> where
> in fact I had to abandon my attempts to make a sequence.
> But in most cases the accuracy is higher than 0.05 and what matters
> the most
> is that this is better than the previously available results.
> When photometry gives errors up to 0.4 mag, ASAS-3 data become a better
> choice.
>
> I am on your side on the "only-use-good-data" approach.

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku