[vsnet-chat 6250] Is Betelgeuse faint?

Is Betelgeuse faint?

Dear Colleagues,

   There have been a domestic "breaking news" stating that Betelgeuse is
extremely faint.  I received this news both electronically and by a snail
mail.  The news tells that the star is the *faintest* in the past
decade.  The news has been widely relayed throughout the astronomical
community in this country, and is becoming "a big news" -- just like a
naked-eye discovery of a bright nova -- some people indeed confirmed the
claimed fading (but the others have not). We even received a report today
that Betelgeuse has dramatically faded to a second-magnitude star(!).
[There is even a rumor that the star may disappear...?]

   Although I haven't had a chance to check its magnitude, is the star
this faint?  Perhaps we need to follow the object even in daytime before
the star completely fades away .. ;-)

Return to the Daisaku