[vsnet-chat 6192] Ornithology and VSOing

Monitoring CVs can be analogous to bird watching in some respects.

Everyone I know has developed a program of stars appropriate for their
aperture, geographic location and interests. Kind of like making your "life
list" of birds you have or have not seen.

I have managed to check off most of the common CVs in outburst, and caught
quite a number of the "rare birds", but still, some allude me. I'm not
talking about the once in a lifetime outbursts like T CrB, RS Oph or WZ Sge,
but more or less rare events that may happen once every other year or so.

AW Gem and DO Dra are two infrequent outbursters that aren't really
'newsworthy rare', but I have never seen them to make a positive outburst
observation. ( I have glimpsed DO Dra in quiescence at times)

It seems the weather has conspired against me again. AW Gem has faded below
my detection, so now I must wait it out again. If my luck continues, you can
almost be sure DO Dra will go off in May, the worst month of the year here
in Michigan.

Anyone else have any bad luck stars they keep missing due to weather or
other circumstances, in spite of diligent monitoring on every clear night?

Mike