[vsnet-chat 6131] Re: U Gem flickering

Re: [vsnet-chat 6130] Re: U Gem flickering

> What these results tell me is the U Gem's standard deviation is greater than
> the fainter 145 star, which would imply a greater variation in the star's
> magnitude than would be normally associated with random fluctuations.  Maybe
> I did observe some flicker in U Gem last night.

   Yes, these figures likely indicate that the recorded variations were
not from random noises (statistical photon noise).  In addition to
a single measure of standard deviations, you may want to get a power
spectrum (Fourier power versus frequency, both in log scale), which will
more clearly illustrate the presence of time-scale dependent variation.

Return to the Daisaku Nogami