[vsnet-chat 6126] Re: U Gem flickering

Re: [vsnet-chat 6125] U Gem flickering

> Last night I observed U Gem "flickering". It changed magnitudes wildly
> between 13.3 and 13.9 in a matter of seconds. All other stars in the field
> were steady, it was a very fine night. This is the second time I recall
> seeing this phenomenon.
>
> What is the most plausible explanation for such variation in this short time
> scale?

   These phenomena are usually referred to as "flickering", which is almost
always present in CVs.  Once some phenomenon is identified as flickering,
there is a prevalent tendency (at least in some community in the professional
world) to simply ignore them as "silly flickering", if I correctly remember
the wording what a some astronomer used.  This is because flickering plays
a simple role of "noise" when one wish to determine the periodicity.
There is also a concept of "flickering and noise".

   However, the it has become more evident that flickering plays a very
important role in identifying the physical process in the accretion disk.
In X-ray binaries, particularly in black-hole binaries, the "flickering"
(in X-rays) component is known to show a power law dependence of amplitudes
versus frequency.  This means that the flickering amplitude (in average)
gets smaller in high frequency (i.e. shorter time scale).  There is often
a "break" in the power law (the slope of the amplitude(power) vs. frequency;
all need to be in logarithmic scale), where an increase in power (amplitude)
is frequently seen.  This increase in power is referred to as quasi-periodic
oscillations (QPOs), which are also seen in CVs.

   From these observations, there has been an idea of "self-organized
criticality" (SOC), in which a superposition of "shots" in a self-organized
critical state (this itself is an ubiquitous and interesting phenomenon,
and search the web for a good representative reference; there was a good
review article in Scientific American), which was originally introduced
to explain time variations (see e.g. Mineshige et al. 1994, PASJ 46, 97;
Takeuchi et al. 1995, PASJ 47, 617).  The same explanation was extended
to explain the CV flickering (Yonehara et al. 1997, ApJ 486, 388).
In CVs, Bruch made a series of pioneering study (Bruch 1992, A&A 266, 237;
1996, A&A 312, 97; 2000, A&A 359, 988), which are confirmed to be
phenomenologically in line with X-ray binaries (the history of CV flickering
was actually old -- back to the 1940's -- but had not received sufficient
attention under the influence of a well-known paradigm of stream impact-type
variation since the 1970's until very recent years).  The flickering
phenomenon now receives more attention in view of the modern advance of
magnetic instabilities in the accretion disk.  (See a further historical
summary of flickering in Kato et al. 2002, PASJ 54, 1033, which is also
available in astro-ph or as a VSNET preprint; regarding optical variations
of black-hole binaries, the phenomenon in V4641 Sgr last year is still
fresh to our mind -- see Uemura et al. 2002, PASJ 54, L79 "Rapid Optical
Fluctuations in the Black Hole Binary V4641 Sagittarii", which is also
available in astro-ph or as a VSNET preprint and which clearly demonsrates
the power-law dependence).

   The field of X-ray binary/CV flickering is still a novel field with
respeect to its physical interpretation, and is now in progress!
There might be no explanation or answer to your question at present,
but your observation, possibly in relation to the outburst phase, may
have recorded a new fundamental aspect of CV variability.