[vsnet-chat 6122] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: NMO Campaign

Re: [vsnet-chat 6098] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: NMO Campaign

Dear Thomas,

> Dear Taichi:  I think many if not most of the readers of your note would
> conclude differently about your attack on AAVSO; you come perilously
> close even if it is not your intent to do so. When you equate yourself
> personally to one of the leading organizations in the world, and embrace
> a personal responsibility for the future of variable star observing in
> the process, you suggest a great deal about your own feelings in
> comparison to those of others in the matter, and it is that viewpoint
> that I am sure many of us may be concerned about.

   My feeling of responsibility partly comes from the fact that this
"NMO campaign" bears a more global nature rather then in a ristricted
sense to improve the quality of the AAVSO observations.  Even if the
original call for campaign was not posted to a VSNET list (Mike, don't
be discouraged to provide your information to VSNET, too -- your posting
has been very helpful and stimulating), the impact would have been similar.
(We know that other modern campaigns such as "Recurrent Object Programme"
or "Programme for Eclipsing Dwarf Novae" have more or less affected
the world of variable star observing).

> With respect to the matter of short term campaigns vs. the long view, it
> might be helpful to have some expression of viewpoints from BAA-VSS
> members. That organization had, for decades in the past, conducted such
> "campaigns" but I have no idea where BAA-VSS stands in the matter today.
> My apology if this has already been included in this dialogue but I
> missed it if it was.

   I am not very strongly aware of the consequence of these short-term
campaigns, but we would appreciate any (either positive or negative)
inputs on "campaigns" conducted by BAA-VSS.