[vsnet-chat 6106] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: NMO Campaign

Re: [vsnet-chat 6104] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: NMO Campaign

> I think most amateur observers think that the ideal is as much coverage
> as possible of *all* stars. You never know when something will do
> something interesting.

   Yes, the same is probably true for professional astronomers.  From this
viewpoint, I proposed a wide-field CCD Mira-type observation, although
the AAVSO HQ has shown little interest.  A need for deeper CCD
survey/observation is evident, but what seems to be lacking in CCD
applications likely includes wide-field variable star works.

> Both the AAVSO database and the VSNET database have huge gaping holes.
> The AAVSO bulletin is a very worthy effort to help fill the vacuum.

   I have carefuly examined in the past the stars which the AAVSO listed
as "need more observations", either in LPVs and objects listed in
"CCD Views", and I succeeded in identifying some of the reasons why
there were huge gaping holes.  On some occasions, the objects were
merely once intensively observed as a program of a different variable
star party.  The observers simply stopped observing once the program
was over.  In spite of the AAVSO's effort to encourage observations of
these stars, there have not been a sign of remarkable change in
observers trend of action.  From these experiences, I have been skeptical
whether the compilers of such lists of "need more observations" have
sufficient understanding in the nature of the objects or why further
observations are required.  This is one of the reasons why I requested
a deeper scientific justification for the object in need of more
observations.  A different potential drawback is what I wrote in
[vsnet-chat 6101].  I have already sufficiently seen such incomplete,
transient satellite campaigns in the past.