[vsnet-chat 6012] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: v1413 Aql - Ready for Eclipse

Re: [vsnet-chat 6007] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: v1413 Aql - Ready for Eclipse

> >      No, I don't believe the mag. 16 with 10cm aperture either.  At high
> > power, something like 150x or so with this aperture, the V limit will be
> > between 14.5 and 15.  Seeing has to be good, of course, to get this faint,
> > probably 1" fwhm or better.
>
> The studies were done under optimum dark-room conditions with targets size
> <10 arcmins, which would correspond to the best seeing at highest
> magnifications described.

   It seems to me that the F-ratio of the incident photons to the retina
may be more responsible, rather than the solid angle of the object.
The retinal cells are known to less sensitive to the inclined photon
arrivals.  Naked-eye experiments should probably be treated with care
in this point of view.