[vsnet-chat 6005] (fwd) Re: CCD-V Vs visual observations

(fwd) Re: [vsnet-chat 6004] Re: CCD-V Vs visual observations

From: "Richard Berry" <rberry@wvi.com>
Subject: Re: [vsnet-chat 6004] Re: CCD-V Vs visual observations
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:20:43 -0800

Hello Taichi--

>    Long focal-length instrument is not adequate for this purpose, as you
> can see.  In practice with short-focus lens with a CCD, the accuracy
> is known to strongly depend on the combination and the condition.
> This is probably because the stellar PSF can become comparable or smaller
> than the CCD pixel size, which makes precision photometry very difficult
> or sometimes impossible.  I know similar experiments which could only
> yielded a 0.1 mag precision.  I wonder if there is a well-established
> setup for wide-field precision CCD photometry.

Yes, about 15 years ago I found very large scatter when I used a TC211
camera with short focus optics. The scatter was about 0.1 mags. Because
of this, I was not interested in CCD photometry for the next five years.

I recently made some long images sequences to examine making images
with short-focus lenses and CCDs. This morning I ran some tests on the
photometric properties of the star images in these sequences.

The images were made with an Starlight Xpress MX716 camera. This
is a CCD with microlenses and interline readout, so it is probably an
example of the worst case for photometry. The lens is 25 mm focal
length f/1.4 video lens. It is sharp in the center, but gives bad images
in the corners.

I measured the star image sizes as the sigma of an assumed Gaussian
profile. The star image FWHM = 2.34 * sigma(star).

The integration time was 60 seconds. The tracking mount allows the
star images to drift about 1 pixel in 15 minutes at this image scale.

The first image sequence was 100 images of central Orion. I selected
three stars with good images (sigma(star)) =0.66 pixel. for these
images:
sigma(V-C) = 0.039 mag
sigma(K-c) = 0.070 mag

Then I selected three stars with moderately aberrated images, with
sigma(star) = 0.91. The photometry:
sigma(V-C) = 0.026 mag
sigma(K-c) = 0.051 mag

Next I selected three stars with very aberrated images, with
sigma(star) = 1.02. The photometry:
sigma(V-C) = 0.037 mag
sigma(K-c) = 0.074 mag (This particular pair of stars showed a
large periodic fluctuation as the star image drfited across the
pixel structure of the CCD, presumably because they were
"in phase" with the structure.)

The second image sequence was 60 images centered on M31.
I selected the nucleus of M31 as C, M32 as V, and a nearby
star as K. sigma(M32) = 1.62, so the image of this small
galaxy was very soft.
sigma(V-C) = 0.026 mag
sigma(K-c) = 0.021 mag

There is a reasonably clear trend toward lower photometric
scatter when the image is large and soft. The 25 mm lens is
not optimal -- there are too many stars crowded too close
togehter in the field. A lens with a focal length of ~100 mm
stopped to 10 mm and set out of focus so the star images
would be 4 to 5 pixels diameter might prove to be very
effective for photometry of bright stars.

This is an easy experiment to try the next clear night.

--Richard

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami