[vsnet-chat 2831] (fwd) NEWVAR.CAT (Greaves)

(fwd) NEWVAR.CAT (Greaves)

   Sent again (please ignore the preceding one), tildas caused problems ;-)

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:12:17 +0000
From: JG <jgts@jgws.totalserve.co.uk>
Subject: NEWVAR.CAT

To: tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
In VSNET-CHAT 2822 and 2823 Brian Skiff and Taichi Kato gave important
information and links re new and/or suspect variables etc, as well as
good advice and information.  Consequently, connected directly by
thread, there is now a nice grouping of references available that are to
some extent kept together.

Via these I also learnt of Taichi Kato痴 newvar.cat which I had totally
failed to find before.  Neither I nor the VSNET search engine is really
to blame for this, for no matter what combination of the words 創ew宋ariable鼠ists& 祖atalog(ue)I used, I was bound to get immensely
large numbers of hits [actually, the word variable has to be ignored by
the search engine, cos it is just too frequent]!

My final TDF proffering is for Taichi Katonewvar.cat.  It uses that
file as is, unmodified.  Just download it from
http://ftp.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/others/newvar.cat and use it
with the following TDF, both being placed in your Guide 7 home
directory.  There痴 no ETB as I壇 have to provide updates for that.
There will, of course, be some overlap with previously posted efforts:
this file is more comprehensive and apparently regularly updated.

As this particular file deals with most of its non-positional data as a
free-form note, the display of information will look a bit tatty in
places, and labelling of the symbols [yellow plusses] would be untidy.
This free-form structure also negates the use of GOTO TDF.  Use right
click for ID info, there is some limited MORE INFO.

[Also note that as the newvar.cat file currently stands, the first entry
in the list will plot erroneously as the RA, DEC and Max Mag entry have
somehow become jumbled in position].

Just remember to update this file from the above excellent link/service
from time to time, and you値l be as up to date re new variables as
anyone, anywhere.  As long as the newvar.cat file retains the current
format the following TDF will handle it, no matter how big it gets.  I
currently run a TDF on a million+ galaxy dataset with no problems!

This is my last posting on such matters: I will leave you all in peace
now!

Cheers

John Greaves
UK

file newvar.cat
title newvar.cat
RA H   6  2
RA M   8  2
RA S  10  5
de d  16  3
de m  19  2
de s  21  4
#text 26 15
>~b  1   4 Taichi Kato's NewVar.Cat\n\n
>~b 26  60 %s\n
>~r  1   4 \nRA : %R  (J%s)\n
>~r  1   4 Dec: %D  (J%s)\n\n
>~r  1   4
\nhttp://ftp.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/others/newvar.cat\n

epoch 2000
type sc4;m0,0;l-25,0;m0,0;l0,25;m0,0;l0,-25;m0,0;l25,0;
field 0 150
mag lim 0
shown 1
end