[vsnet-chat 2744] Re: [vsnet-alert 4413] HadV46 page

Hi,

So far there is no clear indication that HadV46 is not a high amplitude Mira.
Mira stars have low emissions at blue wavelengths near their minimum and show therefore much more dramatic brightenings in B towards their maximum. This phenomenon can be approximated by looking at the theoretical radiances at 500nm and lower wavelengths from a Planckian (blackbody) source that heats up from 2800 K to 3300 K. Although a bit simplistic, this comparison ought to hold.

The perceived blue colour of this variable from the USNO data invites one to think in terms of CVs or other blue stars. But we have to keep in mind that the B and R (USNO) magnitudes were probably measured at different periods, which mean they could have many different values. I had the same problem sometime ago, not knowing that those B and R magnitudes were taken weeks apart.

Stars with negative (USNO) B-R can often be expected to be variables (red or blue) and at B=R they are often galaxies and AGNs....
Possibly Had V46 is a cv, but we need contemporary measures in B and V (or R) to know that.

Regards,

Berto Monard
Pretoria

PS this variable is a just a little bit too North for me to see it at altitudes far away from zenith...