[vsnet-chat 2605] Re:Fixing catalogues

        I have to thank Brian Skiff for his thoroughly written posts on
spectral classifications, and how to go about getting corrections made. It
seems to me that
there are some errors (wrong catalogue designations, for instance) which
become so
embedded by constant replication in subsequent listings that they become a
permanent
fixture.  A "pet" example of mine, is a Wolf-Rayet star in the LMC, located
at J2000
5h9m40.45s -68d53'24.3". There is a HD star near this spot - HD 34169. The
original
HD spectrum was Oa, and there is satisfactory agreement, positionally. The
Michigan
Survey of HD stars notes "one strong emission line, several possible weak ones".
This would certainly appear to be the correct HD number for this W-R star,
now known
as BAT99-19 in the recent "4th Catalogue of Population I Wolf-Rayet stars in
the Large
Magellanic Cloud" (J. Breysacher, M. Azzopardi and G. Testor, Astron.
Astrophys. Suppl.
Ser. 137,117-145(1999)).
        BUT, now getting to the point, EVERY catalogue of LMC W-R stars,
starting with
the first one (B. Westerlund and L.Smith, 1964, MNRAS 128,311) has called
this star
HD 34187, which is probably a small emission nebula, 0.1m following, and 1'
S. I pointed
out this discrepancy in an article in Bull. CDS 35 (1988) p31, and clearly
identified
the HD stars in dispute on a finder chart. I probably assumed that this
error would be
fixed as a result of my note. When I received Jacques Breysacher's 4th cat.
of LMC W-R
stars I was surprised to see the "error" still there.
        Well, Brian leave this one to me; I will contact Gerard, and Jacques
Breysacher,
and see what their response is. Maybe they can convince me that HD 34187 is
correct. If
this is so, where would HD 34169 be found?

        I am "carbonnned" right out, but if anyone would like a copy of a
summary of
Carbon star characteristics and history, just email me and and I send you a
copy off-list. The paper is based on a thesis by Paul M. Rybski, Univ. of
Whitewater-WI.

Regards,
/Mati

  |  MOREL ASTROGRAPHICS                |
  |  Stellar Data & Information Centre  |
  |  c/o M. Morel                       |
  |  6 Blakewell Road,                  |
  |  Thornton  NSW 2322  AUSTRALIA      |
  |  Tel./fax: (02) 4966 2078                                   |
  |  151d38'33" E, 32d46'47"S           |
  |  e-mail: morel@ozemail.com.au       |