[vsnet-chat 2574] Re: TmzV85 page updated

Arne questioned intrinsic scatter versus statistical variation in
data.

I use as my keys the comparison between the different sets of
observers' plots - there is one with little scatter on the chart.

Also, (as Arne knows better than any of the rest of us!) when you are
really stretching the limits of the telescope and camera system, the
scatter at fainter magnitudes goes WAY UP, with some points
abnormally faint. When I see points that fall considerably below the
majority of the curve, I suspect that there are very few
(statistical) events happening. In those cases I personally prefer to
average several points together, because there is usually little
information lost in averaging over time when you can reduce the
Poisson scatter by a factor of ten or more. Time resolution does
suffer a bit then, and if time resolution is critical, you have to
bite the bullet.

(Yes, the browser -MSIE- is still working now!)

=====
Regards, Lew
http://vsnet.geocities.com/lcoo/