[vsnet-chat 1763] Re: Program Planning

Kato-san gave statistics on on-line retrieval from the VSOLJ database,
as well as information on stars needing observations.

Is there a list of all stars on your program, identified by variable
type?  I also am curious about a similar list for the AAVSO.  I know
there are a thousand or two stars in the database, but I have no
breakdown of how many CVs, Miras, etc. there are, nor how stars are
added to the program.  These are probably ignorant questions, but
I can't find the answers on any web site nor literature in-hand.

On a slightly different topic relating to 'serving up the data',
one model might be TASS, where they are providing a central database
computer and all observing sites upload their data on a nightly basis
to be included in the database.  Then outside users can query the
database to either find mean magnitudes/colors/positions for all stars
within some specified region, or else select a single star and get all
of the available data for that star.  This database contains (or
will, shortly) some 100K+ stars on the equator.  Since they can do
it for so many stars, a similar model might work for PEP/CCD photometry
of all-sky variables.

Arne