[vsnet-chat 1660] On the U Sco outburst

Hi,

Good luck to Patrick with his find for which he must have endured the
cold! Perseverance pays at unexpected times.

Sorry I found it necessary to temper the spirit by reporting my
negative observation (which I stand by) just (less than 4 hours)
preceding the alert and my hint of disbelief. I could hardly
comprehend the 5 magnitude brightening in that time.

What has worried me was the hasty jump to conclusions (in either
direction) made by some of the respectable VSO members before any
confirmation took place....

On the event itself:
Is this fast evolution a known fact for NRs or are these first such
data?  There is the possibility of a wrong observation from my part,
but I seriously doubt this to be the case...

Could this initial steep rise be identical to that of a SN of Type Ia,
which is known to rise fast. Would the main difference be that in the
case of a recurrent nova eruption its total mass is not sufficiently
large to initiate the 'follow through' ?

Any comments and theories?

Best regards,

Berto