[vsnet-chat 1596] Re: [vsnet-alert 2575] Nova Mus 98 - a possible periodicity

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Taichi Kato wrote:

> Re: [vsnet-alert 2575] Nova Mus 98 - a possible periodicity
>
>    In vsnet-alert 2575, Dr. Retter wrote:
>
> > If the period is confirmed, it means that we see into the binary system,
> > so the common envelope explanation might be ruled out.
>
>    I think anisotropic radiation from the non-spherical common envelope
> may explain the variation.  If you directly see the binary system, what
> do you think is the main source of orbital variation?

Dear Dr. Kato,

I think that it is too early to discuss in details this unconfirmed
result. I just wanted to point out the possible important implications.
Anyway, I guess that the main source of orbital variation at this stage
is probably the white dwarf, and the variation would be caused by the
irradiated light from the companion. Variations associated with the
accretion disc might be possible as well. For this nova, at the moment
these are only speculations.

Regards,
Alon Retter