[vsnet-chat 1583] (fwd) (fwd) query on SN IIn (Richmond)

(fwd) [vsnet-chat 1573] Re: (fwd) query on SN IIn (Richmond)

From richmond@a188-l009.rit.edu Tue Jan 26 00:44 JST 1999
Subject: Re: [vsnet-chat 1573] Re: (fwd) query on SN IIn
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:47:02 -0500
From: Stupendous Man <richmond@a188-l009.rit.edu>

  As I understand it, the "IIn" events do show narrow lines of
hydrogen (and other low-ionization elements?) in their spectra.
One explanation for this is that these SNe explode into a relatively
thick circumstellar medium surrounding the star; this is postulated
to be the remnants of an earlier phase of mass loss in a stellar
wind (probably as a red giant).

  I think the idea is that when the ejecta slam into the pre-existing
material, it excites the atoms in the material, which subsequently
emit radiation.  The material may also be excited by photo-ionization
by the hot ejecta from the supernova.  In fact, the latter is more
likely, because the observed lines are NARROW: the material emitting
those lines must be moving much more slowly than the ejecta.

  This is my somewhat confusing explanation.

--
-----
Michael Richmond                   "This is the heart that broke my finger."