[vsnet-chat 1453] Re: SN 1998bu

SN 1998bu

I have read Steve's article with interest.

>   Steve Lucas has posted an interesting article on the late-stage magnitudes
>of SN 1998bu.  Being considered "subluminious", the present magnitude
>seems to be challenging to theorists (esp. to our colleages, Dr. Yamaoka).

I guess that SN Ia 1998bu is not a subluminous one, but a typical (or
some brighter) one which was reddened both in the host galaxy and in
our Galaxy.  IAUC 6902 (Murani et al.) and IAUC 6918 (Centurion et
al.) have given the equivalent widths of some interstellar absorption
lines.  With them and Mirani & Zwitter (1997) , A&A, 318, 269, the
value of E(B-V) would be 0.2 - 0.4, which make it difficult to compare
the magnitudes with different colors.

Anyway, this is a rare chance for the magnitude estimates of late-time
SNe in C or mv (and of cource in any other band).  Keep your
telescopes to M96, if you can.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp