[vsnet-chat 1339] Re: Designation of new variable stars

Re: [vsnet-chat 1338] Re: Designation of new variable stars

    If the number of discrete locations on the sky is enough, there may be
no necessity of catalog acronyms preceding the location.  But I wonder why
only variable stars can be privileged to use J-numbers without the variable
star-specific acronym.  Solar systems bodies, supernovae, X-ray sources etc.
receive their own (unique) naming strategies, either temporary or permanent.
Why only variable stars have to be remain confused? (This also applies to
novae; how should we call two recent novae in M31)?  Variable star observers
are clearly in need of a more concrete guideline.

    Second matter concerns the length of the "temporary" state.  A significant
number of variable stars or suspected variables remain unnamed for years (this
situation has habitually resulted several co-existence of "Sakurai's object").
These problems have been repeatedly raised by our domestic variable star
searchers, and the absence of the official policy of temporary nomenclature
and the slow assignment of official (final) designations have worked as
discouraging factors to those who intended to discover variable stars.