[vsnet-campaign-dn 3969] Re: [vsnet-outburst 5913] RE: V1316 Cyg outburst? -- needs confirmation

In message <NBBBJKIECBCGIADLBIHHMELOFOAA.Tonny.Vanmunster@cbabelgium.com
>, Tonny Vanmunster <Tonny.Vanmunster@cbabelgium.com> writes
>Hi Mike,
>
>I have used the V1316 Cyg identification (and image) as it appears in the
>living edition of Ronald Downes' Catalog and Atlas of CVs. I furthermore
>double-checked against the POSS2, and the only thing I can conclude is that
>my CCD images do not show any new object compared to both sources.
>
>You're right regarding the confusion about the true identity of V1316 Cyg
>(see also Gary Poyner's website on this). The id in Downes' catalog is based
>on a message by Bruce Sumner, that appeared in vsnet-id 263, which I
>reproduce hereunder. I guess his 'evidence' is clear.
>
>Best regards,
>Tonny Vanmunster
>CBA Belgium Observatory
>www.cbabelgium.com
>

><<vsnet-id 263>>
>V1316 Cygni identification
>
>The position of the potential UGSU variable V1316 Cygni shown in
>Downes and Shara, PASP, 1993, is incorrect. The real variable is
>in fact the faint star (17.58V) some 12 arcsec east of the indicated
>star (14.78V). This has been determined from B and V photometry (the
>candidate is very blue) and magnitude variation in quiescence, using
>photometric data obtained by Henden and Honeycutt for their paper
>Secondary Photometric Standards for Northern Cataclysmic Variables
>and Related Objects, PASP,109,441,1997.
>
>The J2000 coordinates and magnitudes of V1316 Cygni, taken from the
>Henden & Honeycutt dataset, are:
>
>20h 12m 13.67s  +42d 45' 51.4"   V=17.583  B-V=0.252
>
>Extreme care will be necessary not to confuse the close 14.8V
>companion with the variable, particularly when the variable is faint.
>
>Regards
>Bruce Sumner

Dear Mike and Tonny,
I can only confirm that the chart for this variable issued by 'The
Astronomer' dated 2001 March 24 does show the identification indicated
by Bruce Sumner and not '148' which is shown as comparison F on our
chart.

Even so it is always possible, given the small separation between F and
the variable, that incorrect identifications can occur when studying
faint target objects, especially visually.

Kind regards,
Guy
Editor, The Astronomer
Guy M Hurst, 16 Westminster Close, Basingstoke, Hants, RG22 4PP,
England. Tel/FAX:(01256) 471074. International +441256471074
MOBILE: (07905) 332226         WWW  http://vsnet.theastronomer.org
INTERNET:   guy@tahq.demon.co.uk    OR     gmh@ast.star.rl.ac.uk

Return to the Powerful Daisaku