[vsnet-alert 7821] V4641 Sgr optical outburst!

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:47:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dipankar Maitra <maitra@astro.yale.edu>
Subject: V4641 optical outburst

We have just submitted the following to 'The Astronomer's Telegram'
(ATEL #170):

Subjects: Optical, Binaries, Black Holes, Transients

SMARTS consortium observations of the black hole candidate V4641 Sgr with
the 1.3m telescope at CTIO + ANDICAM instrument from UT 2003 Aug 4.00
indicate that the source is starting a new outburst. The B, V, and I
magnitudes were 12.8, 12.6 and 12.2, which is 1.1, 1.1 and 1.1 magnitudes
above the predicted quiescent value. I-band data folded on the orbital
period show activity as early as UT 2003 Aug 1.95. Observations at all
wavelengths are encouraged. Our recent optical data from SMARTS are posted
at http://phoenix.astro.yale.edu/buxton/smarts/v4641_2003outburst.html

Could you please post it on the VSNET ?

Thanks
Michelle Buxton & Dipankar Maitra