[vsnet-alert 7807] (fwd) Re: Possible Nova in Ophiuchus (Tabur)

(fwd) Re: Possible Nova in Ophiuchus (Tabur)

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:26:28 +1000
From: Vello Tabur <vello@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [vsnet-newvar 2054] Possible Nova in Ophiuchus

Taichi Kato wrote:

>Possible Nova in Ophiuchus
>
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>   Akira Takao (Kitakyushu, Japan) reports the detection of a likely new
>object on his two unfiltered CCD images taken on July 10 and 16.

Oops!   I first detected this object in the course of my own survey on
June 16 but mistook it for a variable. I even assigned a number for it
in my own catalog of variables that I can detect with my equipment!  I
took numerous images when I first noticed it (waiting for it to move;
hoping for a comet) but when it didn't, I catalogued it and moved on
especially since it was visible (but much fainter) on previous images.
Here is a list of prediscovery observations using an unfiltered 140mm
f/2.8 telephoto lens + ST8.

YYYYMMDD    JD               CCD-R
20030321    2452720.10023    12.9
20030405    2452735.15183    13.1
20030429    2452759.07862    13.2
20030504    2452764.06586    13.1
20030510    2452770.03739    13.1
20030522    2452782.16690    13.0
20030529    2452789.09510    12.6
20030616    2452807.03354    10.1
20030616    2452807.04613    10.2
20030616    2452807.06032    10.3
20030616    2452807.08168    10.3
20030616    2452807.10305    10.1
20030705    2452826.07376     9.8

An updated position based on my images is 17h 19m 14s.2  -27d 22' 34"
(+/- 5") J2000

--
Vello Tabur
Comet Hunting Techniques    http://vsnet.tip.net.au/~vello