[vsnet-alert 7759] Re: Possible Nova in LMC by Liller

Possible identification of the nova suspect:

Unfiltered CCD images taken this morning 20 June 2003 (under not so good conditions) at the Bronberg Observatory, Pretoria, South Africa, confirm the presence of a bright or brightened star near the reported position.

the observation:
Nova suspect   20030620.167   11.4CR    Tycho2 reference

Astrometry (vs the Tycho frame) on the images give a position (2000)
05 08 25.59 -68 26 22.3
for the nova suspect.

These coordinates coincide (probably within the astrometric measurement uncertainty) with an existing star 1UCAC1 2136330 with (2000) position
05 08 25.46 -68 26 22.3
with UCAC magnitude 13.81O

USNO-A2.0 gives coordinates (2000)
05 08 25.42 -68 26 22.4
and magnitudes 16.9B and 14.6R

The close match to the measured position and the probable variability of this star and its most probable red colour makes this star the likely counterpart of the detection.

Measurements in two colour bands can confirm the redness and this identification with certainty... or prove the existence of a nova.

Regards,

Berto Monard
Bronberg Observatory
South Africa

>>> Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp> 06/20/03 03:58AM >>>
Dear Colleagues,

   We have received the following report from William Liller on the
discovery of a possible nova in the LMC.